Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Everybody's Doing It: The Run-On -Of-A-Lifetime

Today I wrote some emails to my Arizona friends. Two of them whose names both start with Kevin, got a sneak peek at the write-up of the road trip. It was mostly done as a joke, to get the info communicated with no regard for grammer. I sent it to a few kids at ISU and they're now putting it on their blogs. So, I figure since I authored it, I should do it here. Hopefully, Mrs. Langston, my first grade grammer teacher won't see this and assume I've lost all literary skills. It's just for fun...

Yo,
So I went on the most amazing roadtrip, but am still working on writing the story. This trip, this story of a lifetime was one of the cooler things I've ever done. I love telling the story in person, but for now this world's-longest run-on sentence of a thesis statement of my adventure will have to suffice. Just try and imagine me animated, forgetting to breathe and gesturing wildly. Take a breath. Go...

So I'm still working on the official party line, but I will give you the insider's scoop and tell you that we not only drove through 10 countries without international driver's licenses in a rental car that was effectively stolen in Amsterdam during a lunar eclipse before we taught Will to drive stick on the longest bridge in the Netherlands then onto a cruiseship that took us to Norway, onto a towtruck, through the fjords, into sweden across germany clipping austria and into Lichtestien to storm the castle and make "Jackass" (the crazy stunt show) video clips involving a car and people running then busting out of a black tunnel with christmas tunes jamming in the background into the austrian alps hearalded by a crazy deep blue fog that parted as we discover snow is all around us then decide to go to Italy on a whim winding down through the vineyards and castled countrysides realizing that Italians stink at driving and the road sign industry somehow eluded them still miraculously arriving in Venice by nightfall to run (literally) Rocky-style up and over the canals onto private gondalas and markets pausing only to view the lunar reflections on the luminous canals before beginnning our run back to the car that was illegally parked in front of the police station to make our getaway and head back to strasbourg via the Swiss alps getting lost only 3 times enroute due to abandoned roads on which locals feared to tread but the fearless trogdor traversed with ease pausing briefly to drool over the drooping big dipper dangling over icy alps before switching drivers twice and finally breaking into auchan (mall in strasbourg) for fuel at T- 3hours til classtime...

that's just a taste...:)


No comments: