Thursday, November 13, 2003

Brussels, the place where stereotypes come true!

Last weekend, 5 of us went to Brussels, Belgium. It was one of the few
places where the cliches are true. There really are belgian waffles-- which
are amazing, belgian chocolates are so far the best I've ever had, and then
there's this thing about mussels in brussels. So we did. We had mussels in
brussels and i'm sure those were the first and best mussels i've likely ever
had! We managed to get lost right off the bat after leaving the train
station, allowing us to take the "ghetto tour." My friend Serina and I were
glad to have teh guys around. Frustrated with the situation and the
surroundings, we almost got back on the train to a different town, but our
desire for waffles let us stay the course. When we finally found the
downtown area, we were not disappointed. It was beautiful and there were
some random festivals going on in the promenade area. Our hostel was located
near a stone wall thought to have been built in the 12 century! I can't
comprehend something that old! Apparently Brussels is also famous for a
fountain of a little boy peeing. it's the most random thing ever, but we saw
the fountain and paraphinelia for it everywhere. It's got soemthing to do
with the Belgians likeing to drink a lot, but I think it's ridiculous. Who
wants their city characterized by such a statue? I dunno.

So that's a bit of what's going on with me. I'd love to hear what's going on
with you. Much thanks to those who have already been in contact. Your emails
or calls have brightened my day or nite as the time change goes! Again,
thanks! As I come upon my 5-week mark, I'm feeling a little bit homesick bt
am glad for friends here who speak English! Last Friday I happend to call my
friend Maria while she was at XA, my college group from Arizona. I could
hear everyone in the background and at that moment I would've given anything
to be there, just for a few hours! Yet, I know that this is where I'm
supposed to be and am thoroughly enjoying the ride. Sending you all my best
and love!!!

Eat some mexican food for me,
;) Brooke

No comments: