Thursday, April 20, 2006

Perspective



Know what this is? It's a photo-shop distortion of a picture of my eye. Currently, my eye is pretty much swollen shut and so I've been having to tell folks cute things that make them feel less awkward like "oh, you should see the other guy" or "ya, I was seeing this guy and things didn't really work out" etc. You get the idea. Tonight I went to a girls nite out and the theme was cowgirl...so I dressed normally, put on a jean jacket and went as the wife of a drunk cowboy who beats his wife. Yikes! but I digress. So basically, I can do some typing and some calls, but mostly I'm just frustrated b/c my vision is screwed up, it hurts and I feel useless...My depth perception is off and I poured my cream of wheat on the counter instead of my bowl today (well, it was a more 30/70 split to be honest :) Having my vision tweaked has REALLY made me appreciate the good sight I commonly take for granted. This whole thing freaks me out, but normally I have such good vision. My point is really that I'm just grateful that normally I can see and that I can hear. This misadventure is a pain in the neck but it makes me realize how graceful I am for my sight!

Part 2...this also makes me realize how proud of my Mom I am. She recently underwent melanoma (cancer) of the eye including some ultra crazy radiation and a surgery. She's also losing the vision in the affected eye. I tell you what, I get an infected sty gone crazy and I'm freaking out. She's been prodded, probed, radiated, cut, and messed with some more and she has carried herself with such a grace. I can't imagine how it must feel. I know two things though. 1) I'm super proud of her and really acknowledge and admire the manner in which she has dealt with this, her second round of cancer and 2) I know that my God is able to heal her to His glory. I look forward to that day.

In other news...let your eyes feast on the sunset...drink in the fragrance of the ocean, flowers or your favourite coffee...stop for just a minute to revel in taste of chocolate...listen, really listen to the tonal inflections and variations of a loved one's voice, knowing that it is their unique sound...cherish the sensation of touch in a hanshake, a hug or a kiss...

No comments: