Monday, April 17, 2006

Just a little smoke...

I love reading Voltaire, not sure why but so many of his quotes just grab me and won't let go. For an excessive number of months this saying was my tagline:

"The burning of a little straw may hide the stars, but the stars outlast the smoke."

Imagine how many times I had written this, read it, said it, thought about it, and then BANG! today it hit me in a new light. I so often thought of that pesky smoke as simply the hurdles that we encounter on our journey...as something that merely happened or someone else caused that complicated or inconveneinced or otherwise complicated my life. But a closer look reveals something else...I didn't realize that that same smoke is so often caused by the straw that I burn. Oftentimes, as I tap my foot and impatiently wait for the smoke to clear or worse still compliment myself on how well I'm waiting -- during those moments I fail to see the straw at my feet and the matchbook in my hands.

No comments: