Monday, January 19, 2004

The Weather Outside is Frightful...

It is a fact that it is cold in Strasbourg. It’s been gloomy and overcast and most of us are feelin’ it. Many students are probably borderline depressed. Where is the stinkin’ sunshine???

I miss my family.

I miss my friends.


I’m just holding to the thought that in a little while I’m going to step off that plane, make my way through the crazy checkpoint counters and round that corner into the baggage claim where I’ll get to see my family. I’m gonna hug my dad and oh man, it’s gonna be so great! Like catching up on a whole year of missed hugs! And then my beautiful mom’s gonna hug me in that crazy special cool way moms do – usually right before they start crying! J And then I’m going to realize that my sister has grown up, although she better not be as tall as me, and we’ll hug too. Then in that moment I’ll be home…

Mmmm, yep, that’ll be a good day, but until then I’ll just have to take advantage of the crazy beauty and cool people surrounding me here. Sometimes, I guess it just takes leaving to realize the value of coming home. So I’ll deal. Today was just one of those days. I’ll leave you with a little thought of home by C.S. Lewis:

The last thing we want is to make everywhere else just like our own home. It would not be home unless it were different.”

No comments: