Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Ah, the good life!

For some stupid and irrelevant reason, I have that "it's a hard-knock life" song stuck in my head. You know the one. It's sung by that little kid in that seasame-street-sing-song voice. Well, it's wierd, b/c it's not a hard-knock life...not tonight. Tonight it's Halloween, but even more than that, it's my Papa's birthday. I came across his birthday card that turned into his painting/birthday present, but it simply said this:

"Thank you for being."

Apparently, it's a greeting from the Seneca Indian Tribe. I like it. It's a tribute, an honoring, an acknowledgement of the value of someone's existence, of the positive impact that one person has in your life. So, tonight as I awkwardly -- and my parents (ever-the-seafood-pros) fluently -- cracked our shellfish open at the birthday dinner, I was just basking really in the beauty of my family and specifically in the existence of my Dad. I'm so proud of who He is and so love Him in my life. Ya, Dad, thanks for breathing, thanks for being born and being there and present and active and fun and loving and amazing in our life and the countless others you've touched along the way. Tonight, and ever, I honor your beautiful place in my life. I'm also really grateful for my whole family. What a blessing to share a meal and better yet a life with a team that loves you for just "being" also.

Hugs!
b

No comments: