Monday, December 01, 2003

Kwajalein

So, it’s a crazy time here at ISU. The literature review deadlines are steadily sneaking up as are the dreaded exams and my internship is begging to be settled. Basically what this translates into is me living at ISU and eating more McDonald’s than I care to admit. I’ll tell you one thing, though, when I return to the States, I will not eat McDonald’s for like years to come!!!

The most exciting thing happening right now is that it looks like I may have found at least one interesting internship possibility with Boeing. It’s in Kwajalein which is a tiny island in the Marshall Islands in the Pacific Ocean. There’s a Missile Test Range there (Reagan Test Site). The hope would be to take the position as an internship and then move into a job which would most likely involve me living there 2 years then being bounced back between Cali and Alaska for 2-6 month bouts at a time. But who knows? I’ve been looking into the island all day learning about its tropical environment where I could learn to scuba dive and effectively live with no cost on an Army base. Travel to and from the island is ridiculously expensive. I was complaining about this to Fabio. He responded with it’s typical of paradise: it’s beautiful, it’s expensive and it’s full of sharks. How true.
Ah, well, we’ll see what happens. I’m also looking into California and Washington positions. Who knows what’ll happen. I better get back to work! Nite!

No comments: